Hiking is an amazing way to get fit and stay fit. If you are over-weight and want to shed some pounds, try my tips. They worked for me. I was 240 pounds and I came down to 170.
Here are my before and after photos…
I started walking 5 km on flat trails about 3 times a week. I would time myself and try to better my times.
Here are some useful exercise tips I’ve learned…
- Start Easy – Don’t run. Don’t hike up steep hills
(Too fast too early will increase the chance of injury and motivation loss)
- Gradually work your way up to more and more challenging walks/hikes
- The Energy Trail at Buntzen Lake is a great place .
- Log your workouts (time, distance and date)
(I use Endomondo to track my workouts)
- If you wish, find a partner to help push and motivate you
- It’s more difficult to lose weight than to eat junk food
- Lift weights
- Weigh yourself only once/week and do it in the morning
Here are some useful dieting tips…
- Drink lots of water
- Lower the sugar in your diet (see below)
- ‘Low Fat’ advertising is tricky. Low fat foods often have high sugar
- Have small meals, with healthy snacks in between, such as trailmix or WASA Light Rye Crispbread, with peanut butter (non-hydrogenated)
- Nuts are a good snack and they help to make you feel full
- Too much alcohol is bad. Don’t waste your liver’s time breaking down alcohol, when it could be breaking down sugars. Plus alcohol contains empty calories.
- Avoid buffets
- Don’t eat out too much
- Low fat milk makes you feel less full; consider using 2% or homo unless you have a cholesterol problem
- Good sugar substitutes are: Stevia; Erythritol; Xylitol
- Close your kitchen down 2 hours prior to bedtime
- Have one treat a week (but not a 2 lb sundae !)
- Use spices, mustard or hot sauce for flavour
- Substitute Hummus for Mayo
- Always eat breakfast
- Have lots of fibre
- Don’t eat the skin from chicken
- Have a consultation with a dietitian
Some high sugar foods to avoid or cut back:
- Fruit juices
- Frappuccino (Venti Mocha from Starbucks = 76 grams of sugar)
- Dried fruit, canned fruit
- Cookies, cakes, pies and donuts
- Jams, preserves & spreads
- Many cereals (try below 6 gr/serving);
Cheerios, bran flakes and oatmeal are good
- Sauces, like ketchup and BBQ
- Ice cream
These tips are all great, but what makes it so hard to stick to a diet plan and lose weight ? Motivation, confidence and mood are key factors.
Things that can motivate you to lose weight and get in shape:
- Health reasons
- More energy
- Enhance your appearance
- Increase your confidence
- Save money
Many health plans fail due to lack in confidence.
Confidence will naturally increase once you start exercising, but try this tip that was useful for me:
Challenge yourself – for me it was cutting back on Starbucks Mocha Frappuccinos (Tall is 40 grams of sugar). I challenged myself to not have them for a month. After a month, it turned into 3 months. Once you realize you can beat the demons that lead you to food, your confidence will naturally increase.
The challenge doesn’t have to be a food challenge either – you can challenge yourself to cut back on watching TV or the challenge can be walking 1, 2 or 3 km… every day.
11 thoughts on “Hiking to lose Weight”
I went over this site and I believe you have a lot of good info , saved to my bookmarks (:.
Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
I believe this site has got some real excellent information for everyone. “The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.” by Diogenes.
Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is really annoying. A good website with interesting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this website, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.
Good – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task.
Very interesting topic, thanks for posting.
Thanx for the effort, keep up the good work Great work, I am going to start a small Blog Engine course work using your site I hope you enjoy blogging with the popular BlogEngine.net.Thethoughts you express are really awesome. Hope you will right some more posts.
You have observed very interesting details! ps decent site. “I hate music, especially when it’s played.” by Jimmy Durante.
I will right away grab your rss feed as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly allow me realize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
An interesting discussion is price comment. I think that you must write extra on this matter, it might not be a taboo topic however typically persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
I just want to tell you that I’m very new to blogging and site-building and actually liked this web-site. Likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You surely come with beneficial article content. Thank you for revealing your web page.